Kathy L. Murphy, the Pulpwood Queen, has been leading the charge on literacy front. In
these times of willful ignorance, reading is more important than ever.
Writing, whether it’s the hope of banging out a bestseller or journaling for yourself, brings meaning and has the power to change our own lives. And our world.
The center is where writers help other writers and is a tribute to Pat’s life and works.
Here are a few of the many reasons to help out:
- Host readings by acclaimed regional and national authors
- Offer writing classes both at the Center and also off site, hosting classes at venues such as schools, senior centers, military bases, etc.
- Expand literary arts education programs currently available by placing writers in K-12 classrooms to work with students
- Sponsor lectures, master classes and special events
- Provide space for book groups and writing groups
- Create mentorships for middle and high school writing students
- Offer ongoing professional development for English teachers
- Provide need-based scholarships to our programs
- Secure financially and renovate our location in downtown Beaufort
- Collaborate with libraries and other organizations
- Create an English Teacher of the Year award
Now, y’all know I don’t do this often. But if you can donate and or spread the word, you’ll be helping budding new writers, readers and authors in need of inspirational kick in the behind. And emotional porcupines.